Studies from the Pew Research Center show that a vast majority of 98% of Americans in the US today own a cellular device. Our smartphones are considered "high touch surfaces" due to the amount of contact made throughout the day. This means germs and bacteria can be spread via touching our phone screens. Considering the number of times we hold and use our mobile device, it is quite easy to get in contact with these bacteria. The average mobile phone can host up to two hundred million harmful germs and pathogens.
Your mobile phone can pose to be a COVID-19 carrier if not properly sterilized. Some believe, cleaning your phone with a moist towel and soap is effective enough to kill these germs. But, this is not the case. Disinfectant wipes and special UV Phone Sanitizer are hygienically proven to be efficient when dealing with germs on your phone. In today's blog post, we take you through the differences between disinfectant phone wipes vs. Ultraviolet sanitizers and the benefits they provide.
What are Disinfectant Wipes?
These are special pre-moistened wipes that contain antibacterial properties that fight off germs and bacteria off appliances, surfaces, and anywhere you wipe.
Why we do not recommend the use of these Wipes
- Non-renewable: A disadvantage about using wipes is they only offer a 'one-time' use and then you have to discard it. Antibacterial wipes can only be used once. This can be a problem if you run out and need to disinfect your device.
- Sticky: Essentially, phone sanitizer wipes do release liquid on the surfaces of the device being cleaned. Over time this moisture turns sticky and uncomfortable to touch. Swiping may be difficult and sweaty fingertips will only make it worse.
- Harmful for the environment: Aimlessly dumping your finished wipes around can be harmful to your surroundings. They are also a choking hazard to toddlers and creatures around. Don't litter, ensure to dispose of well.
- Can harm your skin: Clorox and alcohol wipes can cause allergic reactions on sensitive skin due to the reagents present. When disinfecting your smartphone, ensure not to get some on your skin.
- Can harm your device: Excess moisture can sip into the phone's motherboard and sabotage circuitry. Especially when leaked via speakers, microphone, and camera.
What are UV Phone Sanitizers?
These are cost-effective phone sanitization alternatives that utilize Ultraviolet-C light. The rising trend of UV Phone Sanitizer in the market is gradually making its mark as many large corporations are beginning to utilize this technology first introduced by startup companies. They resemble something out of a sci-fi movie with its robust design and visual aesthetics.
Similar to phone sanitizer wipes, these alternatives kill 99% of surface germs and viruses. However, these devices utilize special ultraviolet rays which are shone onto your mobile device. The UV rays are reflected across the whole exterior of your device killing pathogens and other bacteria. They are much more powerful than regular cleaning methods. The device comes in a variety of sizes to encompass your smartphone structure while making room for other utilities such as your earphones or air pods to be disinfected as well.
Can UV-C Phone Sanitizers Kill Coronavirus?
Conductive research has shown UV-C rays to be effective against eradicating germs and bacteria from surfaces. Not much has shown its effectiveness against COVID-19 as results are inconclusive.
However, UV is effective against viruses similar to Coronavirus such as SARS, influenza, and colds. Thus in limelight, it can be a useful sanitary counter to coronavirus until further studies prove it scientifically.
Pros of Using a UV-C Light Phone Sanitizer
- Automatic: You simply just put your mobile phone into the device and it automatically begins to disinfect your mobile.
- Multipurpose: You can charge your smartphone simultaneously as your device is being thoroughly cleansed. It can cleanse other household items such as car keys and jewelry as well.
- Non-sticky: Unlike most wipes, ultraviolet mobile sanitizer doesn't leave your screen feeling icky and moist.
- Effective: Phone sanitizer's UV rays kill 99.99% of hard to reach germs throughout your phone.
- Adaptability: Sufficient space within the device can adapt to a variety of mobile phone dimensions. No need to purchase a specifically sized casing.
- No liquid, no heat: You don't have to worry about overheating or moisture seeping into your circuitry.
- Notification: Get a reminder to alert you when your device has been sanitized without you having to check constantly.
- Audio casing: Allows for acoustics to phase through the casing to alert you whenever you receive an SMS or call.
- Re-usable: Unlike wipes and other sanitization methods, this device can be used over again without limitations.
- Cost-effective: Saves you money from having to replenish your phone wipes each time they deplete.
- Doesn't damage your screen: Many liquid disinfectants damage your mobile phone screen. According to Apple, continuous use of abrasive chemicals in disinfectants destroys the devices' oleophobic coating which is used to prevent fingerprints and dust on the screen.
When it comes to protecting yourself against harmful germs and bacteria, ensuring that your mobile phone is clean should be a priority. Here at Sannify we offer cost-effective UV-C light technology to help keep you safe and hygienically clean. Remember to utilize effective methods of sanitization to remain protected. Stay safe, stay healthy with the power of ultraviolet light solutions.